Friday, October 29, 2010

Dining Divas at Friend's Cafe

Katie is from the suburbs of Washington, D.C., and a transfer student with one year left at Clemson University. Amanda is from the suburbs of Atlanta and a senior in her final semester at Clemson University.
The Pre-Game
Katie: I was excited to hear that there was a new café in Clemson. I had driven past it a few times and noticed the snazzy red awnings and tables set up outside. I knew we had to visit.
Amanda: Katie and I were in the mood for a light lunch. She mentioned that a café had opened next to the high fashion store "Bella" called "Friends Café." I was excited to try a new place that was nearby on College Avenue but avoided downtown traffic.
The Scene
Katie: The outside is very inviting and fresh and encourages you to get a Seattle's Best coffee and enjoy the weather. Inside the café , it's very welcoming and has clean lines and a V.I.P. section with recliners and a flat screen television. One of our favorite divas, Marilyn Monroe, is recognized, and her picture is displayed on the walls. I didn't know this place was a hookah bar (no traces of the smell) until I saw the hookahs behind the register.
Amanda: Located next to "Bella" and across from "Eddie Spaghetti" is Friends Café. On the outside it looks like any typical café with outdoor seating available. I could not believe what it looked like inside. Immediately to your right is a corner that has a flat screen above a cream leather couch and two reclining leather chairs. Red, fluffy ropes accent the corner to make whomever sitting there feel "VIP." Booths sit against the sides while high tables are scattered throughout the middle. A few Marilyn Monroe pictures adorn the walls. When the cashier lady told me they are also a hookah café, this surprised me. The café's interior design follows a red and cream color theme, which gives it a nice modern clean look. I have never been to a hookah bar, but I figured a typical one would not be decorated like this.
A Look at the Menu
Katie: There are many appetizers, sandwiches, entrees and a kid's menu to enjoy. They even offer various dessert choices of cookies, cheesecake or muffins. The hookah menu lets you make your own combo with various fruits and flavors to choose from. They also offer their most popular combos with a choice of a refill. Diva-approved combinations are the Britney Spears (Peach and Melon) and the Paris Hilton (Melon and Strawberry).
Amanda: The menu of Friends Café features a variety of teas, coffees, salads, sandwiches, burgers, kabobs and Mediterranean food. Currently, no alcohol is being served. Friends Café also offers a children's menu. In addition to food and drinks, there is a hookah menu. Different flavors of hookah can be smoked alone or mixed to create combos. Tobacco-free herbal molasses flavors are also available.
The Taste Test
Katie: I ordered the chicken sandwich, and it was delicious! It was perfectly seasoned and not too heavy. I got a side of Mustokhiar (plain yogurt mixed with diced cucumber and mint) and that was a great side, (try dipping pita into it). Amanda got the side of hummus with pita. I tried the hummus and pita, and that was a fantastic side as well.
Amanda: One thing that I got excited about at Friends Café was that they serve hummus. I absolutely love hummus with pita and had to get it with my meal. I ordered a blackened chicken sandwich and substituted the chips with a side order of hummus. The sandwich was the perfect size for a light lunch and the side of hummus was just enough to share with my fellow Dining Diva. Katie ordered a side of Mustokhiar, which she insisted I dip a piece of the pita bread in. I tried it as a dip, but I preferred the hummus better.
Impressions
Katie: I am really excited for Friend's Café. It has a fun, hip atmosphere with great food. The hookah bar is a great addition to downtown Clemson and provides another social opportunity for those 18 and older to enjoy. I think I'll head back and try one of the hookah combinations.
Amanda: I loved the atmosphere of Friends Café, it felt very chic. I loved the "VIP" corner. I still cannot believe there is a hookah bar in Clemson. Who knew? I will have to come back with friends and try it. Especially because of the Friends Café combos called the Britney Spears and the Paris Hilton. Smoking hookah is less harmful than cigarette smoking is, but still hazardous to your health. It should be done in moderation, and make sure to read the Friends Café warning about side effects listed on their hookah menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment