Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dining Divas at Villa Novella & 356

Amanda found 2 more Dining Diva articles so here they are. This blog has helped me organize any sort of article I have written into one place, and it's fun :)

Villa Novella
The Pre-game
Amanda: Katie had passed by Villa Novella several times and suggested we should eat there one evening. I was surprised to learn how close it was to our apartment complex in Central! The only other Italian restaurant I had been to around Clemson was Olive Garden, so it was nice to try another Italian place that didn't take more than 20 minutes to get to.
Katie: I had always seen Villa Novella's sign passing through Central and was curious about the American Trattoria. After seeing an ad for it, I knew we had to stop in and write about it.
The Scene
Amanda: A very "homey" feeling. The restaurant looks like a house from the outside, and once you step inside it gives the feeling of a comforting Italian family home opening up its kitchen just for you. The three dining rooms are filled with booths and tables and can be easily set up for large groups if needed. A separate bar section is adjacent to one of the rooms for those who want to eat, drink and meet new friends. There is also outdoor seating available during warm months. The owner and his wife are friendly and usually there every evening to serve you.
Katie: Walking up to Villa Novella, you are greeted by twinkling lights adorning the house-turned-restaurant and the faint sound of Sinatra playing in the restaurant. There are tables scattered on the lawn and front porch allowing for outside seating. Once inside the vibrantly painted restaurant, I felt a very family-oriented vibe and that this is a place to come and catch up with an old friend.
A Look at the Menu
Amanda: Villa Novella's menu features a variety of pasta dishes, seafood, meat and chicken. For appetizers there are several choices such as calamari, marsala mushroom crepes, hot artichoke parmesan dip and their soup of the day. There are also dessert and dessert wine menus available. For anyone that can legally drink there is a nice selection of American wines, Italian wines and beers.
Katie: The drink list boasted many Italian wines (I tried and recommend the Stella Pinot Grigio) as well as imported beers. The food menu was formatted with Italian headings, antipasti, primi piatti, secondi piatti and contori, which Amanda and I guessed on for the translations.
The Taste Test
Amanda: Katie convinced me to share the calamari appetizer with her and I am glad I did. The peppertini aoli dip added a nice garlic spice flavor to the lightly-breaded calamari. For my main course I wanted to try something new, so I chose the potato gnocchi with goat cheese and pepper alfredo. I had never heard of potato gnocchi but was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted. The food was so delicious and filling that I just had to take what I couldn't finish home with me. I am a red wine kind of girl so I had to ask the owner, John, which Italian red wine he preferred. He recommended a glass of the Banfi Centine Toscana.
Katie: We started off with calamari for an appetizer. It arrived lightly breaded and instead of the usual red marina, it came with a peppertini aoli sauce. The calamari was my favorite dish of the night and the peppertini aoli was a nice change with a kick to it. I had a really tough time deciding what I wanted to order, because the menu had such a variety of dishes. I decided on the yellow fin tuna cooked medium rare with a white bean in olive oil side or "contori"( see, I caught on). The tuna as well as the white beans were delicious with various spices and tomatoes on it for an Italian flair. I tried Amanda's potato gnocchi with goat cheese, and it was a nice change from the usual pasta dish.
Impressions
Amanda: If you want to avoid the 20-minute drive to Anderson and wait another hour to sit at Olive Garden, then I recommend Villa Novella. This small Italian restaurant in Central has a lot of potential. Although it was short staffed, the food was delicious and worth the wait. It is definitely a family-friendly restaurant that you can take your parents to when they visit Clemson or a romantic dinner date for that someone special. Villa Novella is available to host private dinners, so definitely give them a call about large group gatherings and semi-formals.
Katie: Villa Novella is a great, homey Italian restaurant tucked away in Central. I would love to come back and sit at their bar and sample more of their Italian wines. It would also be a great place to host a semi-formal or a party. Ciao, Bella.

Dining Divas with our beloved Tiffany enjoying a night out in Athens   Go Dawgs!


356
Katie is from the suburbs of Washington, D.C., and is a transfer student with one year left at Clemson University.
Amanda is from the suburbs of Atlanta and is a senior in her final semester at Clemson University.
The Pre-Game
Katie: I was really excited to eat something other than subs, pizza or Mexican food that is so conveniently placed around the University. I love sushi and other exotic foods so I was eager to venture out to 356.
Amanda: I love subs, pizza, Mexican, Chinese and the occasional trip to a chain restaurant, but I have been at Clemson since I was a freshman. I wanted to explore more of what Clemson has to offer before I graduate. 356 is a popular spot for the downtown bar crowd, but we wanted to see what it had to offer as a restaurant.
The Scene
Katie: Spacious yet inviting. The bar lined the far wall and showcased many types of liquor and ended with a sushi bar. Booths and tables scattered throughout the restaurant welcomed the hungry and those wanting to try a martini (try the Sexy Martini, a mix of Peach Schnapps OJ and Cranberry juice). An elevated area in the opposite front corner houses Wii tournaments, live music or comfortable couches that are very city loft-ish.
Amanda: Walking in 356 immediately gives off a very chill and trendy vibe. Very spacious with booths lining the wall and tables scattered throughout the middle section. If you are lucky, you may be able to sit in the couches giving you a "VIP" feeling. The bar is always active with bartenders making drinks, and cooks in the back rolling up sushi made fresh to order.
A Look at the Menu
Katie: Offering more than just sushi, 356 also has tapas, salads and gourmet flatbreads (think fancy pizza). For those not too keen on eating raw fish, try the Ranchero or Spinach 'n Tomato (It's amazing) flatbreads.
Amanda: The menu features tapas, sushi, salads and flat breads. For those that are of legal drinking age, there are a variety of martinis and beer to choose from, as well as a nice selection of red and white wine.
The Taste Test
Katie: You can't go wrong ordering the California rolls, but if you want to be a little more adventurous try the Philadelphia Roll or the Seaside roll. Thursday nights is $3.50 sushi night on select rolls with nicely priced Cosmos as well. If you are not in the mood for sushi and have already tried the flatbreads, try something from the tapas section. The seaweed salad (don't be thrown off by the name) was a great starter, as well as the spinach dip and hummus dip.
Amanda: Katie and I are always indecisive about choosing an appetizer because the hummus dip and spinach dip are equally delicious. The Spinach 'n Tomato flatbread is a favorite of mine, but I love spicy foods and sushi. So I just had to try the Georgia Bullfrog roll. And of course nothing else makes the experience better of eating sushi at a trendy restaurant than an inexpensive fabulous Cosmo in your hand.
Impressions
Katie: 356 is a great place to treat your taste buds in downtown Clemson, whether you are a sushi fiend or need a break from the ordinary. Don't forget to stop by late night to check out their drink menu.
Amanda: This is hands down my favorite restaurant in downtown Clemson. Thursday night is a great time to eat at 356 because of their sushi rolls and Cosmos during Happy Hour. This trendy downtown restaurant is perfect for a girls' night out or a date with that special someone. Now, if only they had a live jazz band during dinner on Thursdays nights.

The Divas being Jersey Girls.

I miss Amandita, Clemson , and Paradise Estates soo much! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment